"even the Best Systems need a little help sometimes"
Once again, no matter how encompassing; ERP, Accounting and other core Business Systems, such
as SAP, Oracle and other Business Intelligence, they still need a little help in the periphery. As powerful as they are, they just do not cover all the areas a Business may need.
Another Case Study
Another one of our Partners just completed an Intelligent capture of 40,000 Proof of Delivery (POD) receipts and delivery notes per Month for another Large SAP user. [Again utilizing one of our Major Engines: IDM (Intelligent Data Mining).]
Until recently, those documents were handled manually … processing over 40,000 deliveries monthly. Each evening copies of the daily (up to 19 different document types of) delivery notes were collected and sent to the Customer Service department for sorting and filing.
With many locations and drivers, the hundreds and thousands of manifests, delivery notes and proof of delivery documents often got misplaced, misfiled or returned late.
The volume of paperwork alone that’s generated daily as a result of the in and out processes, generates a small mountain of paper requiring physical storage - even for smaller distribution networks.
The entire filing, storage and retrieval process was labor intensive, costly and time consuming. Their paper based systems were inherently inefficient and unreliable. Continuing to rely on their existing physical document process, particularly when key documents become ignored, overlooked, misplaced, accidentally thrown away or lost, potentially exposing the company to compliance and/or legal risk every day.
The limitations of manual processes went beyond delivery and documentation to impacting the cash to order process. Matching distribution and delivery documents with proof of receipt documents in the field was cumbersome. Receiving delivery documents returned by drivers, manually scanning them and cross matching against their SAP ERP system records perpetually delayed accounts receivables staff from generating invoices, lengthening the payment cycle and negatively impacting control over revenues and cash flow.
- Automation for 40,000 POD receipts and up to 19 different types of delivery notes per month
- Integration with Web-based Document Management System for quick look up and retrieval
- Integration with SAP Accounting
- Replace start to end processes that are labor intensive, error prone, costly and time consuming
- High volume of paper from multiple locations
- Scanning and intense manual labor to match scanned Documents to SAP
- Manual Data entry keyed in with high risk of errors
- Large number of lost/missing Document exceptions
- Lack of visibility, liability and control within ERP
The Solution provides an automated digital Proof of Delivery Solution that incorporated scanners in multiple processing centers. Then IDM provides intelligent document capture and data extraction into incorporated Document Management System, implemented across multiple locations to archive the digital documents and captured business document meta-data.
The Solution was designed to be easy to use, enabling delivery records to be scanned and archived within minutes of a delivery driver returning to base, making the documents available for viewing either by customer services via the web overcoming the delays associated with the manual paper-based system.
To address one of the most painful parts of the process—filing and matching documents to support proof of delivery and invoicing—the Solution intelligently sorts and classifies over 19 document types that support the proof of delivery process.
Now they're able to batch scan their documents without manual sorting, relying on IDM to classify and sort everything for appropriate filing and indexing. IDM's ability to intelligently extract information from the document images meant that documentation could be automatically filed into the Document Management System and indexed with the appropriate metadata—eliminating enormous hours of manual filing and data entry.
With an automated Proof of Delivery Solution in place, invoices are now effortlessly combined with POD documents and quickly made available across the organization for accounts, billing, archiving and queries. Missing PODs are automatically flagged for follow up by the appropriate user. The IDM system also enabled Accounting and CSR staff to view completed PODs including supporting and linking documentation over the web.
- Major Reduction in paper and paper handling costs and accelerated the flow of payment receipts
- Major Reduction in accounts receivable cycle times and better cash flow control
- Instant access to customers’ delivery, billing, and payment data, from any location
- Greater responsiveness and transparency throughout the delivery process
- Accurate record keeping and improved customer service
- Better traceability of product deliveries and drivers
- Mitigated legal risks due to lost documents
- Access to documents from anywhere, at any time